Title of article - The Armenian revolution
"By 1922 two craftsmen who had come with Ohanessian from Kutahya, the potter Balian, and the painter Karakashian, left Ohanessian's workshop and established a workshop of their own called Palestine Pottery, on Nablus road.
The productive partnership which lasted over 40 years, split up after the death of one of its founders in the 60's. Their sons who continue in the craft, established two separate workshops. Stepan and his brother Berge Karakashian moved to the Via Dolorosa in a shop called Jerusalem Pottery.
So famous had the Karakashians become, that in 1963 they were invited to decorate the outside of the Jordan pavilion at New York's world fair.
The arrival of the Armenian ceramics in Jerusalem, with its colorful designs and brilliant glazes, marked a revolutionary and refreshing innovation in the local pottery industry. It was a radical technological change from the monotonous, plain pottery produced by the Arabs.
In 1965, the Jordanian ministry of tourism asked them to make street signs for the Old City in Arabic and English, and after 1967, the Israeli government asked them to add Hebrew."
Old City street name sign tiles made by the Karakashian painters
"Karakashian's Jerusalem Pottery has retained the hand-made process. It concentrates on tiles on which appear a great variety of designs. One traditional Armenian symbol often used by the Karakashians is the peacock, which stands for long life."
Written by Norman and Tala Rubin
Pomegranate tree and peacocks tile mural for home decor
The Phoenix bird, Wood framed wall hangings for gifts and wall decor
® 1919-2019 Jerusalem Pottery Hagop Karakashian Armenian pottery & tiles